Monday, December 23, 2013

What is Business Coaching and Why Do You Need It

What is Business Coaching and Why Do You Need It

an image of a hammer and a screw
A good friend of mine back in the 80’s told me something I remember to this day. “If I’m a hammer – you are a nail.” He told me that after I complained about an accountant and how he would not add a footnote to my financials expounding upon our marketing and sales success that I wanted so I could show my clients “how successful we were.” My friend spoke the truth … an Accountant sees numbers; a Doctor sees illness … so it is with all professions – we see what we are and what fits into our World (to that end a Doctor’s advice about Financial Statements is not going to be that useful!)
Coaches have found how to succeed in many different industries by “seeing” people not industries. In business there are stacks of books, and case studies explaining what works, what’s needed to succeed, how too’s, etc. The common thing in each of the scenarios is people. History to me proves the theory that People who set and achieve their goals, goals that are properly aligned with their values, balanced to their entire life style – family, business, industry, etc they are the Leaders who have developed a system and process to achieve that, replicate that and who love what they are doing. They have discovered their “authentic natural talents” they have developed them into what produces under their terms, and in their timeframe what they have set out to accomplish. They willingly share their knowledge with others and even with competition from others they have shared their “secrets with” they always come out on top. (The teacher ALWAYS learns more than the students in class) “Givers get”